Who can provide legal advice in Ontario?

February 4th, 2022 by Hunter Stone

In Ontario, only lawyers and paralegals can give legal advice. The Law Society of Ontario is the governing body for Ontario’s lawyers and paralegals. The Law Society protects public interest by ensuring that the people of Ontario are served by lawyers and paralegals who meet high standards of learning, competence, and professional conduct.

The Landlord and Tenant Board (the LTB), the tribunal that hears landlord and tenant matters, has rules about who can represent tenants and landlords. Representatives include lawyers, paralegals and an unlicensed person, if that person falls within a category of persons the Law Society has exempted from its licensing requirements. Click here to see if you fall into one of the kinds of unlicensed people that the LTB allows.

There are many good lawyers and paralegals who appear regularly at the LTB.  Retaining one of them can help avoid the kinds of hiccups that sometimes happen when you don’t have a track record.

If you are a landlord or a tenant and you have questions, we may be able to help you. Please feel free to contact us here to inquire about our service.

Filed in: Co-operative Law, Firm News, Housing, Litigation

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,